Η ελληνίδα Ευρωβουλευτής και πρόεδρος της ΜΚΟ για τον Καρκίνο του Μαστού Europa Donna Hellas κα Ελενα Κουντουρά, συμμετείχε στην ημερίδα «Transforming Breast Cancer Together» που διοργάνωσε η Europa Donna Ευρώπης στο Ευρωκοινοβούλιο με την ευκαιρία της Παγκόσμιας Ημέρας Υγείας Μαστού.
Στην τοποθέτησή της η κα Κουντουρά μίλησε για τις προτεραιότητες στον αγώνα κατά του καρκίνου του μαστού και καθολική-ισότιμη πρόσβαση σε βέλτιστες υπηρεσίες υγείας που πρέπει να έχουν όλοι οι ασθενείς.
η ομιλία της κας Κουντουρά :
Distinguished Speakers, Guests, Ladies and gentlemen,
I would like to thank you for the invitation to share my thoughts as a Member of the European Parliament and as the President of Europa Donna for Greece.
Health is an area where the European Union should strive for more.
The challenges we face, such as climate change, technology and the demographic issue, change our societies and impact health and quality of life.
Especially, in member states that have been affected by socioeconomic crisis, like Greece. And therefore we need to insist on that women do not neglect their health and prevention, while also we provide support for better quality and equal access to health services.
There are stark differences and inequalities between the national health systems in Europe. Even, the legislation concerning medical services for breast cancer, has not been implemented in several EU countries.
Women are the pillars of family and society. When a woman confronts an illness, all family members struggle.
Breast cancer, as we know, is the most common cancer in women worldwide, and has the highest rate of mortality.
But at the same time, breast cancer is 100% curable if diagnosed and treated at an early stage.
This is exactly why the fight against cancer and especially breast cancer must be placed on the top of the health agenda of All member states.
• The EU has to invest in both primary and secondary prevention.
• To ensure that breast cancer is screened, diagnosed and treated at an early stage.
• To place at the core of our health agenda, prevention information policies and actions, including awareness campaigns and education programs
• Also to overcome prejudices and the social stigma, and persuade all women take better care of themselves and their body, as a priority.
• And of course, to provide all patients with full access to the treatment protocols.
In this framework, Europa DONNA works to ensure
• that all women are guaranteed access to fully equipped, quality-assured dedicated breast units that provide the care they need.
• We fight for women’s right to access quality screening programmes, a proper diagnosis and modern treatment.
• That every country will have a national cancer registry, that will provide reliable data, which is essential for more effective policy-making and actions.
• And that we invest more in research
Europe is fortunate to have in charge the Commissioner designate, Mrs Stella Kyriakides. She has a deep knowledge and understanding of this critical issue, and is determined to put forward the first European strategy for cancer, supporting all Member States to improve cancer prevention and care.
The European Parliament in its new term, must ensure that Europe’s Beating Cancer Plan will propose and implement effective actions for every key stage of the disease: prevention, diagnosis, treatment, palliative care, life as a cancer survivor, support in readjusting to everyday life and adopting a healthy lifestyle. Overall, to make sure that every citizen of Europe, every man and every woman will have equal access to the best care possible. We are all in this together. No woman should feel alone or be left alone. Thank you.